How to Connect to 5GHz Wifi on Windows 7/8 and 10

Originally published at: How to Connect to 5GHz Wifi on Windows 7/8 and 10

With the constant change of standards and speeds, a lot of users have found themselves confused with the sheer number of available options for wireless connectivity. One of the most confusing issues is the dual band problem, specifically concerning wireless networks that emit at 2.4GHz and 5GHz. This issue means that even though your router…

i have 802.11 n so i believe it can connect but i am not seeing it and i am sure the wifi have 5g because it is on my phone and I want to know if there is any software i can get to connect it

so my router has 2 wifi options, VM - 2g or 5g, i can connect to 5g with my phone and my laptop, yet with my pc i cant even see 5g as an available network, on my pc it says radio types supported are
802.11n, 802.11b, 802.11g,
i have a wifi adapter plugged into my pc but its very outdated, is this the problem and can anyone recommend me a good one that will allow my pc to connect to the 5g network?

I don’t think so.

Maybe the router only supports 2.4 GHz? Did you verify this with the company?

We recently had a new router installed by the cable company due to as they stated out router was out of date. Ever since then my desktop home computer is not finding 5G, it did prior but now it’s not. Everything else is connected TV, Roku etc with exception to my desktop…any suggestions?

The Wifi adapter that you are using on the computer might not support 5GHz, make sure that the drivers for the adapters are installed and that the equipment supports the transmission of 5GHz

I don’t have long and Short next to 802.11b Preamble
I have Green Field and Mixed Mode
Now what?

Kinda late, but how you actually do it, on the same “advanced” page where this guide points you, in the list there is also a “preffered band” option that is set to 2.4. Set it to 5ghz band and it should work.

So I’m having this issue but when I got to the 802.11 the options in the right where auto or mixed mode. Is mixed mode still the right thing or will that not work? I don’t have an enable option.