How to Determine the True Bitrate of any Audio File

Originally published at: How to Determine the True Bitrate of any Audio File

We recently covered why ripping 320kbps MP3 from Youtube is a bad idea, but today we’re going to talk about how you can check the true bitrate of any audio file you download – legally, we hope. This is actually quite useful, as many legal music downloading sites may claim to offer CD-quality file downloads,…

Can you send me the torrent link? I can try.

Hi, I have a torrent of a FLAC movie that is at 88.3% and doesn’t move anymore.
The thing is, the first 4 minutes of the movies are composed of a wonderful song, lossless in this case, that I want to extract it to create a FLAC music file, even thoug the file is not completed. And the first 10 minutes of the movie are totally downloaded, so technically seems like should be possible.

Any suggestion about how can I do it? I hope the question was clear

FOLK HE IS SAYING THAT THE SOFTWARE (SPEK) WHICH EVERYBODY IS SAYING TO USE TO CHECK THE LOSSLESS QUALITY OF AN AUDIO, IS DISPLAYING THE SAME FREQUENCY CUT-OFF IN ALL THE 3 FILES, THEN WHATS THE USE OF THIS SPEK SOFTWARE LOL.
WE ALL KNOW THAT HIGHER Hz AND BIT RATE AUDIO ARE BEST

Thank you so much for the effort on your reply, I am a year too late so I apologise for that.

Can you tell me what the difference is between the blue and the green parts of the frequency spectrum?

I’m afraid we don’t have a guide for online checking as of now but if we get into the research and write one, we will let you know.

First of all, YouTube audio files are usually in Opus 48000 Hz @ 160 kbps Variable Bitrate format. Your media info detection tool probably cannot detect accurate bitrates when it comes to Opus files and it’s not unusual or anything 'cause Opus, firsthand, is a very different Codec. And since Opus, is a more recent codec than AAC, Opus is a more efficient audio codec and so, this VBR bitrate level of Opus at 160 kbps has similar peak frequency projection to that of a 256 kbps CBR or ABR (Average Bitrate) MP3, and not AAC. Why? 'Cause AAC files at 256 kbps VBR are usually max quality lossily compressed audios, especially those from iTunes. iTunes M4A files are actually and accurately at 262 kbps VBR but most media analysis tools detect these files at 256 kbps as their nominal bitrates. You could say that these iTunes M4A files at 256 kbps seriously have near-lossless audio quality.

PS. This post is somewhat outdated though. If you may notice, the OP didn’t seem to explain why the peak frequency projections of the upper images were too different to that of the last one. The ones with almost like a straight line drawn on top of their ‘peak frequencies’ are in Constant bitrate mode (CBR) and/or Average bitrate mode (ABR); and it doesn’t really matter whether it is in MP3, AAC, or FLAC (only the bitrate mode matters in this case). While the last one is encoded using Variable bitrate mode (VBR) that’s why you could see that their peak frequencies are too ‘variable’.