How to Fix Error Code: 0x8007025D When Installing Windows?

Originally published at: How to Fix Error Code: 0x8007025D When Installing Windows?

The error code 0x8007025D during a Windows installation typically halts the process and displays a message indicating that “Windows cannot install required files” or a similar prompt. This error means there is a problem with reading or writing files during the installation process. The most common cause is corrupted installation media, which might result from…

Had this problem on my new PC build when installing W10 on a 1Tb Nvme. I solved it by updating windows completely on my old PC, re-downloaded and re-installed the W10 USB image on the same USB stick, then used another USB port (not USB3). This time it worked. Can’t tell for sure which one of these things fixed it, but my guess a corrupt install of the USB media. Hope this helps someone else in the future.

Had the same problem trying a clean windows 10 install on an HP laptop 15. After hours of frustration, using a different USB drive for thr installation files solved my issue.

Try a different port because the New USB might be USB 3.0 and sometimes it doesn’t work in a 2.0 port. Therefore, try to connect to a USB 3.0 port or a different USB 2.0 port.

Back to provide my solution… as it turns out, no ram was faulty and the HDD is ok as well. I unplugged all USB devices and tried again… error. Then I realized that the only USB device I hadn’t unplugged was my wireless mouse dongle. As soon as the installation started, I removed it and Bingo! The installation succeeded. Thank you Kevin for your help. I have been a tech for over 25 years and this is a first for me. A wireless mouse dongle LOL!!

I have tried several USB sticks but what I don’t understand is that my old Win 10 image works every time and the new one (March 2020) doesn’t. Tried various usb devices and none of them works…makes no sense at all to me. I will try the above suggestions and see.

I had this problem and it turned out to be a memory (DIMM) issue. I had placed a couple of 8GB DIMMs to upgrade the RAM, but either there was an issue with one or both of the DIMMs or the Dell Optiplex couldn’t handle that much memory. (may have maxed out at 8gb) So, anyway - thanks for the tip. :slight_smile:

after dealing with several changes in bios setup i could fix the problem making two things : loading defaut value for bios and changing memory stick , i did these two last things at the same time , may be one of them was the culprit or both, i don´t know, but the problem was fixed

I faced the same problem, however after many tries, eventually i figured it out …
The easiest way is to replace your usb in other plugin places, some pc has plugin usb from the back others from the right side.
The reason behind that some usb are plugged easy and directly to the motherboard other places are integrated … so its worth to try. Cheers

I have done Method 1, 2 and 3 altogether and solved the problem!
Thanks a lot!!
Great article!

I was getting this error too, but I used a Boot & Nuke program to wipe my SSD clean. Then the Windows 10 install worked fine. I had been running Linux on the SSD before, FWIW.

Can I help you?

Thanks for this great article. Bad RAM was the culprit for me. I was doing a clean install on a brand new build and was convinced the windows 10 install error was related to the SSD since that’s a relatively unique / new component. After spending days tweaking BIOS settings and running down other rabbit holes, I eventually went through all of the other options in this article before swapping out the RAM - one of the two sticks was indeed bad.
Setup:
motherboard: MSI z270 SLI Plus
processor: Intel i3-7100
memory: Team Group Night Hawk 16 GB DDR4-3000 (2x 8 GB sticks, one of which was bad)
hard drive: Samsung 960 EVO M.2 500GB NVMe PCIe 3/0x4 SSD