How to Fix Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device

Originally published at: How to Fix Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device

The “Reboot and select proper boot device” error is a nightmare that haunts all version of the Windows Operating System starting from Windows XP to Windows 8.1. While this problem hasn’t been as big of an issue on Windows 10, more than half of all Windows users – who have not yet upgraded – are…

Dude, you just saved my week! I’ve been having spurious boot problems for weeks, and it has been increasingly driving me crazy. Turns out it was the CMOS battery. That’s a tip I’ve only found here. Thanks, man!

All the best!

You can’t even get into the Bios?

I was using my acer one 14 z1402-50fz when it crashed. I opened it up to find it saying ‘reboot and select proper boot device or instert boot media in selected boot device and press a key’. I followed online steps to the Aptio Setup Utility. I know the steps, but found a stressful problem. My 'advanced settings, boot configuration , boot priorities and Save and exit options are in black and cant be clicked on. I have windows 10. My computer was recently fixed from a hit next to the right of the built in mouse…

I was using my acer one 14 z1402-50fz when it crashed. I opened it up to find it saying ‘reboot and select proper boot device or instert boot media in selected boot device and press a key’. I followed online steps to the Aptio Setup Utility. I know the steps, but found a stressful problem. My 'advanced settings, boot configuration , boot priorities and Save and exit options are in black and cant be clicked on. I have windows 10. My computer was recently fixed from a hit
next to the right of the built in mouse…

Does the boot order lists hard disk or ide/sata drive as first? If not, set it as the first boot drive and see what happens, if nothing happens then set the usb as the first boot device and boot from it.

I have used Rufus to put Windows 10 installation onto one of my USB drives and the Easy Recovery Essentials on another. My laptop froze after the Windows 10 Anniversary update which I didn’t realize would install itself when I did a hard reset when it froze before that. I’ve tried several times to “Reset this PC” to no avail… ultimately resulting in this Reboot and Select Boot Device coming up. I have tried going into the F2 screen and the boot order was correct. Tried booting the Easy Recovery Essentials from the USB but it keeps saying that there’s no data and goes to the Reboot and Select Boot Device screen. Went to the F12 screen to attempt booting the USB directly… nothing. So then I tried the Legacy Boot option and now my keyboard won’t work to navigate the menu. I’m totally stuck now. Pressing the power button just goes straight to the BIOS menu but I’m not able to navigate. I have a Toshiba Satellite P55t-A5202

Thanks KEV! You’re the man!

If anyone is having problems, plugging the hard disk into a different sata port worked for me.

Check if hard disk is seated properly, and restore bios settings to default

I reinstaled windows but have the dame issue… I checked my HDD with cristal disk on my other PC and he said that my HDD is fine. What I need to do?
(Sry for my English)