How to Increase a Dedicated Video RAM (VRAM) in Windows?

Originally published at: How to Increase a Dedicated Video RAM (VRAM) in Windows?

If you have a low VRAM Graphics card, you might need to upgrade or increase it to run the task that requires more Graphics resources, such as video editing, high graphics games, and more. You can encounter graphics memory errors due to a lack of VRAM while playing different games on the computer. However, there…

Windows (by means of the application) takes up available RAM dinamically for GPU integrated memory (VRAM). If you set up a large default size, you end up with less available RAM and you don’t want this. On the contrary, you should set the minimum size in BIOS and let the application take up as much RAM and VRAM as necessary. Only old applications that can’t use available RAM can only use dedicated VRAM by BIOS. But nowadays any serious app do.
I have tried setting HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREIntelGMMDedicatedSegmentSize to 0 (disable) as per Intel documentation, but Windows 11 will take 128MB even if I set the minimum 30Mb on BIOS.

Unfortunately, then you can’t increase the dedicated VRAM of your GPU.

It asks to go to software>Intel, but what if i don’t have a intel cpu or gpu. i have a amd apu so im not sure where to go with this

and how about for the larger brand for graphics… NVIDIA???

How do I get into the bios on a mac running bootcamp

Hey fellas
I have Nvidia geforce mx 250
Intel UHD 620
The problem is
My nvidia gpu has 6gb memory and the shared memory is 4 gb while dedicated is 2 gb
For running free fire on bluestacks at 90 fps I need 4 gb vram
It works awesome on the intel gpu but the problem is u can only use image sharpening on an nvidia gpu using the nvidia control panel.
So maybe u can help me have 4 gb for my nvidia gpu and 2 gb for intel gpu for the display
I have an Asus laptop
8GB ram
Intel i5 something processor which goes to 3.8 Ghz at max.

Yes, this should work for the AMD Chipsets as well!

Is it the same for amd chipset?
i followed the instructions but instead went to amd and created it. laptop is definitely alot smoother but display properties still show the same

Yeah, it can only be increased by changing the GPU.

Why the difference ya?
Only by changing gpu can increase it then?

dislikers are owners of potato machine.

How would it be 8GB when neither my ram nor vram are that high

pity…thanks anyway :smiley:

The regedit method worked for me. I went from 128 to 576 with no issues at all. I’m running an ancient HP Pavillion (550-192). Good luck everyone!

Your stuck, even if you somehow increase the value through the registry, you will end up with zero performance gains and probably more instability. Better to keep it where it is and maybe go for an upgrade in the future.

In bios, I have pretty much no display options except for 256 and 512. Changing either does nothing. I’ve previously already done the regedit method which is how I’m at 576 mb. Is there any other way? Or am I just stuck with 576MB at best?

Is there an option to increase in the bios?

bro. it’s not working in hp elitebook 8440p, can ypu please help me.

I have a Dell e5450 intel HD 5500 with 16GB of RAM and it says that I have only 128MB of VRAM, how can I increase it? The bios doesnt show advanced graphic options