What is Maximum Processor Frequency and How to Use It?

Originally published at: What is Maximum Processor Frequency and How to Use It?

Some users have been looking for a way to program the maximum processor frequency on their PC computer. By default, the maximum processor frequency is set to 0 in all the recent Windows versions. This means that the processor is allowed to run as high as it’s capable of running. Maximum Processor Frequency in Power…

Maximum processor frequency refers to the highest speed at which a CPU can operate. In gaming, this speed is crucial for processing complex calculations quickly. However, higher frequencies generate more heat. To manage this, CPUs often have built-in mechanisms that reduce their frequency when a certain temperature threshold is reached—a process known as thermal throttling.

By decreasing the maximum processor frequency, you’re essentially capping the peak speed the CPU can achieve. This action can aid in lowering the overall temperature because the CPU doesn’t exert itself as much as it would at its highest frequency. Nonetheless, modern CPUs are engineered to function efficiently over a spectrum of frequencies, and most games are tailored to perform optimally within these ranges.

Consequently, you might not perceive a significant difference in game performance when the CPU is not operating at its maximum frequency. Games tend to rely more heavily on the GPU than the CPU. Thus, as long as the CPU can manage the game’s processing demands—which is often achievable even at reduced frequencies—you will not notice a marked decline in performance. The game continues to run smoothly because it still receives the necessary computational power from the CPU, albeit with reduced heat generation.

Bear in mind, however, that if the processor frequency is lowered excessively, it could start to impact performance, particularly

I really wanna know one thing that how does it actually reduces temps in gaming and also if it does that why the game still runs identical when it was on max frequency

When I changed my CPU frequency Cap in power planner it seems to have used a percentage input rather than Mhz.
I tried using 3.9 at first (3.9 MHz) but it didn’t do anything (reset to 0 on click away), so I tried 100 (100%) which seems to have registered properly and done as I’d hoped, setting max CPU frequency to 3.9 MHz (100%) for me, rather than 100Mhz, or the 110% which it was set to by default apparently (manufacturer setting + windows allowing it to hit cap).
Otherwise, thanks for the info! My PC has power draw problems so being able to limit CPU freq a little lower should help a ton.

It also depends upon the charging state if laptops are charging they tend to run on much higher frequencies than normal frequencies. Try unplugging the charger and try again.

Hi, on Win 10 19041 on 2020 iMac Core i7-10700K. Followed this guide… The max freq option box shows up and allows you to input a number but after restart it does nothing. The cpu still goes well past the limit I set. Any ideas? Thanks

It really depends on your cooling system and your temperature changing these settings is completely safe however using them for the long run can create some overheating problems if the cooling isn’t done properly. You can check your temperature and set everything accordingly.

Hi, it’s super interesting and i want to do it but is it complety safe? or can create problems of sw or hw?
Thank you