Fix: High CPU Usage by Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted)

Originally published at: Fix: High CPU Usage by Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted)

Many Windows users have suffered from a problem where up to 95% of their CPU or/and Disk have been used by a process known as System Host: Local System (Network Restricted). This problem first surfaced back in the days of Windows 8 and has stuck around to haunt the brave users of Windows 10. Users…

Good to know! I have had other sd cards and have my external hooked up all the time and never had an issue the last 4 years, took me by surprise!

THANK YOU, nothing else i tried worked, i had JUST formatted my computer and you just reminded me that everything was fine until i had to install the razer surround application for the sound drivers…
as soon as i deleted that CPU dropped from 94% to 14%.

I uninstalled the Razer Surround application and the issue immediately went away.

Superfetch worked for me …no need to restart also …from 95% it went to 1%-2%
Thank you

I am also facing the same problem, but thanks to you to share the great article. I follow these instructions step-by-step and found that it works for me. Thanks again. https://www.itechgyan.com/service-host-superfetch-high-cpu/

I tried Method 4 (killing Service Host: Local System, then checking “Abandon unsaved data and shut down”) because it seemed easiest. It worked great! Thank you so much! I was having trouble even just logging in and saving files. Now disk usage is totally under control.

Yo got it!! I got more than I was looking! Big thanks

I had the same problem and came to the same solution thank you soo much !!

The problem was because of the windows update service. Each update is around 1 GB in size that keeps downloading in the background. All those related services caused the leak. I set my WiFi as metered network and surprisingly got rid of the problem (at least temporarily). Waiting for a permanent fix.

Disable the windows event log service to get rid of this problem.

First of all, the article was updated to include more solutions. Secondly, which step 4 are you talking about? in which solution? if you are saying that by stopping the SVCHost it might malfunction then it won’t.

Razer strikes again!

what about the high bandwidth usage. how to solve that.Also how do I shut down cortana.
Seriously,like y microsoft y.No control at all at the user side.Again an update will come and again everything will be reset.this just gets worse n worse

Thanks for the tip, worked for me.

Hi thanks for this. I had this issue and disable Superfetch. It worked great, for a atime. Now the same issue is happening but with Disk at 99-100% constantly. Service Host: Local System (16-17) seems to be the biggest offender but I can’t seem to find anything about it. I’ve changed my Chrome and Skype settings as well as a few others but no options have lowered the Disk usage permanently. Any ideas?

Thank you

ty

Perfect. Did not assume you had that in, can also happen if any of the external usb ports are utilized

What’s the make/model of your Lenovo? There should be an option restore to Factory settings.