Fix: "ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches, The application didn't start."

Originally published at: Fix: "ms-windows-store:PurgeCaches, The application didn't start."

ms-windows-store:purgecaches is a setting feature that purges and clears the locally stored cache for Windows Store that builds up over time. The following error code usually appears when there is a problem with the Windows Store to which users usually respond by using the wsreset.exe utility. This is the error message that is most regularly…

YO thanks. My brothers elitebook 2570p microsoft store kept flippin crashing EVERY time and nothing worked. I did step 1 and restarted and once waiting like 20 minutes for it to start up (yes, it needs an ssd upgrade) IT FINALLY OPENED. I feel dumb now but hey, at least it works. Thanks!

Method 6 worked for me you’re a hero! I have been struggling with this for weeks now.

try this:

takeown /R /F “C:Program FilesWindowsApps”

icacls “C:Program FilesWindowsApps” /t /c /q /GRANT Everyone:F

icacls “C:Program FilesWindowsApps” /reset /t /c /q

Method #6 worked for me as well.

Oh my actual god number 6 worked, the only one I thought wouldn’t thank you thank you thank you

Saved mine too, thank you, Kevin Arrows.

I went through literally 50 different ways and a soft windows reinstall, and all it took was this?! You saved me so much headache.

I tried many suggestions posted by people ranging from tampering with the file/folder permission, registry edit, resetting/clearing cache as well as the dozen of powershell command floating out there. I was getting exhausted and almost gave up until I came across a post from one guy recommended to re-install the mediafeaturepack from Microsoft. In desperation, I tried it and it works! UNBELIEVABLE how mediafeaturepack reinstall the missing or corrupted component require for Microstore to work. This is how exactly to fix this stupid MSoft issue.

  1. run winver to gather what version of OS is installed.
  2. Google microsoft mediafeaturepack and download the version that matched your version of OS installed.
  3. Execute the download file, reboot, and you should be back in business

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml”}

Remember to add the quotes around your directory

For me, setting Ownership to Users fixed the problem. AFAIK Users is Microsoft’s native permission group. So consider adding that as another viable option.

man give this guy a crown, I was about to give it a new windows reset then i saw his website

Praise be, method seven has fixed it. I have spent at least 20 hours attempting to diagnose and fix whatever I broke when I started ripping window’s insides apart to disable microsoft edge, and the final method is the only one in dozens of forums, videos and tutorials to have fixed anything. I cant believe it took me this long to find this one page.

Hallelujah, after half a year your 5th step finally fixed it! Thank you so much!

Wonderful, step 5 finally got my store back up! quick note, the powershell code is missing quotes at the install location: Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register “$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml”}

Like many others, I have been trying to find a solution that works for countless hours and now your method 1 has solved it. THANKS a million!!!

Hello for the powershell commande try this :

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $(“$($_.InstallLocation)AppXManifest.xml”)}

THANKYOU the last one WORKED :slight_smile:

me4. Thanks Kevin.

Yeah it worked for me too