How to Fix Folder Keeps Reverting to Read Only on Windows?

Originally published at: How to Fix Folder Keeps Reverting to Read Only on Windows?

When you encounter folders on Windows that continuously revert to a “read-only” state, you’re experiencing a common issue where folder properties seem immune to user changes. This situation is usually an attribute setting, rather than an error code, which is confusing because the folders are not fully read-only; they just seem so due to attribute…

Hi, Is this supposed to have worked? https://snipboard.io/vwOAkl.jpg

No error message, but the read only is still tagged, also, i can’t select a drive, it truly asks me for a folder… Well good luck me modyfing a whole 2TB of installed games… And adding new games, lol that’s what i’m trying to do but i cant copy files.

Welp, all of my drives causes this issues, Why the hell is my Admin account making permanent read only tag when creating new folders is absurd…

Yes! That was a result of changes in a security settings. I’ve found steps to fix in the Microsoft website

I’m at the end of my tether here… did all of the above, nothing worked. Even did a system recovery. Went to the microsoft helpdesk and they ensured me that doing a in-place windows 10 upgrade would fix it. Newsflash: it didn’t…

I’m trying to fix this for 3 days straight now and i’m literally tearing my hair out over this. If anyone has a solution please please please let me know!

Yes. I just discovered yesterday that it seems was about the owner when that problem appears. Just changed the owning to me and the problem was solved (at least by now). Thanks anyway!

None of the above solutions worked for me. Most of them were already done (as the permissions or be logged as admin). The #~@$(" folder stills as read only…

“Have you tried turning the device off and on again?”

Friend, that would be “…the ignorant who refuse…”.

The best trick for who/whom is to to turn the question/statement into an answer. If your answer uses “he”, then your question needs “who”, and if the answer uses “him”, then your question needs “whom”.

For example:
“(Who/whom) did this?” “He did this.”
“To (who/whom) does this belong?” “It belongs to him.”

I struggled with “who vs. whom” for ages, and this trick was instrumental in my eventual grasp on the concept. I hope it serves you as well as it did me. :slight_smile:

Random folders, not bound to any program, even empty. And I figured out what happened. It was my bad: I played with windows security settings and oversecured))) Security and firewall settings reset made things done. Now all folders could be deleted

Same! These don’t work for an SD card. Stupid windows 10!

Go outside, you linux users need it

Can you provide me a screenshot, please?

1. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.

Manage settings. does not exist on my pc
Now what

Did all that listed above, even used help on the configattribute cmdlet in order to get proper command, since using Enterprise version of Win might be different. NO AVAIL JUST EPIC FAIL, Gates should have named his company FawkyouSoft, it just screws the user over a lil bit each day. WITHOUT even a kiss first.

These should work for your SD Card as well, have you tried the methods shown above?

I need help for my SD card lol

Can you try this method and give me feedback so that we can update this article?

1. Press and hold the “Windows Key + I” Button together till you see Windows Settings.
  2. Once Windows Settings is opened Go to Update & Security.
  3. Then go to Windows Security
  4. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
  5. Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.
  6. Switch the Controlled folder access setting to Off.

Hey Carlos,

Try this:

1. Press and hold the “Windows Key + I” Button together till you see Windows Settings.
  2. Once Windows Settings is opened Go to Update & Security.
  3. Then go to Windows Security
  4. Under Virus & threat protection settings, select Manage settings.
  5. Under Controlled folder access, select Manage Controlled folder access.
  6. Switch the Controlled folder access setting to Off.

Hope this helps, Keep me updated.

that command attrib -r +s drive: doesnt work. keeps return
Path not found - C:drive:UsersMYNAMEAppDataRoaming
Tried all kinds of combos, adding and removing c: use forward as backwards slahes

EDIT
duhh i still had drive: in the path. got it working, no error. But it changes JS :frowning:

That doesn’t work either