Windows Won't Use Full RAM? Try these Fixes

Originally published at: Windows Won't Use Full RAM? Try these Fixes

If your Windows is not utilizing the maximum amount of RAM, you should be aware of several factors that might be contributing to this issue. If your Windows is on a 32-bit architecture, it will not be able to use RAM to its full capacity, as a 32-bit Windows system can only utilize approximately 3.2…

my laptop (hp pavilion gaming ec-0101ax) was working fine with 2.1 gb of hardware reserved ram. Then one day when i turned on my laptop it stucks on hp logo then I restart it and turn it on with boot options and it turned on and now it is showing 10.1 GB of hardware reserved ram, It stucks on hp logo everytime i turn it onn. I have tried all the steps, Nothing worked for me ,HELP!!!

Restart your computer, but use the msconfig option.

A ton of posts on Reddit from users needing assistance appear to be caused by users failing to understand proper DIMM Ranking and ignore or are unaware that matched pairs of RAM must be observed when installing or upgrading RAM. So remember the slots 1/3 and 2/4 (for 4-slot DIMM systems) are linked and must be matching sticks for those slots. Usually this will be shown as a massive hardware reserve in Windows.

Thanks the first solution helped me. I was about to throw this thing (computer) out the window.

It seems more like a hardware issue please try to remove both RAM Sticks place the first one run your computer check if it works and if it works, Shut down the PC completely place the second one, and check again. Let me know how it goes.

it is NORMAL if you are using the INTERNAL GRAPHICS CARD of your 2200g

Update to the above. I converted the laptop to 64 bit, still with 4Gb of ram, now I see 3.8Gb available, an increase of 900Mb

haha “open up your CPU”. XD. Im sure the information is good but it cracks me up like nothing else when they have writers who know nothing about computers write about computers.

Thank you! I’ve been working on this forever.

Another way to check if your ram stick is faulty go to task manager and go to performance and go to memory and on the middle right of the task manager will say slots use so you can see which of it is not working.

I tried everything and nothing works. Strangely, my ram used to show up as 12GB but the windows reporting now shows only 8GB useable. My BIOS has no memory mapping enable/disable but since it used to report the full 12GB, that should prove I never needed memory mapping turned on to begin with. It should also prove that my BIOS revision flash is sufficiently up to date. I have two OS’s installed on two different hard drives ( not partitions ). I go into BIOS to change whether to PC boots into Windows 7 or 10 by changing which drives it boots into. Both Windows operate normally and are updated. Can’t be my RAM modules or sockets because it just so happens that I have CPUID/CPU-Z installed and on the memory tab it shows 12GB installed. My BIOS also shows 12GB. If a module or socket were bad, CPUID would not detect the full amount. So I did not have to fart around with moving or removing modules. So what gives? Any ideas?

I tried everything recommended on here and nothing worked, replaced my AMD processor and now ram is working as designed.

You may have a faulty stick of RAM, or one stick isn’t properly seated. Try them in different slots too.

i have 64bit and the same issue

HP notebook, 2+2gb windows states 1.7gb usable from 4gb. Solution: Swap memories: 3.7gb usable now. Probable cause:1.3v 1.5v mixed banks, hp might choose voltage reading first bank, and 1.3v can work ok with 1.5v but not the opposite.

man thanks my system was using 2 gb but now using 200 mb thanks

try to reinstall the windows

^ Please refer to this article.

You didn’t even mention “64-Bit” once, read your post.