FIX: Windows 10 Freezes Randomly

Disable hardware acceleration and update your graphics driver. Let me know the results then.

I’m out of my mind as my computer keeps freezing. It could mantain 4h long full virus scan but it cannot handle 3 minutes using any browser, watching movie etc (didn’t even try playing games). It started around a week ago this weekend I reinstalled windows and suddenly yesterday-this same. This morning next reinstall and again, I didn’t even get full 60 minutes without freeze. Hardware is clean and this same for 3 years and I keep my software neat and well protected.
I checked my hard drives, temperature reading, system errors, viruses-everything and nothing out of order but problem is still there. I use my computer for work and I cannot allow it to keep happening. Changing hardware is not an option.
If someone could give me a hint how to make my computer work properly again-I’d be grateful.

Looks like GPU isn’t handling the load well? If it’s new how about getting it replaced?

I forgot to mention in my last message, I found the mail from the official service center which states that CPU passed 15/15 tests, GPU has been tested with Heaven Benchmark and Furmark on full HD, RAM got 4/4 passes and also SSD works perfectly. They stated that on their seperate OS they’ve tested it with games they use to test ROG G series and hardware passed that one too with flying colors. That is why I really don’t know what to do anymore…

I’ve tried transfering all the graphics on Intel and then on Nvidia, and at some point both. I’ve stress tested Intel’s memory, CPU and graphics which all of them passed with flying colors, also Nvidia has the latest driver, which I don’t know how to stress test, but it works same as Intel. Is it possible none of it works? When I’ve reset winsock, it went for a whole day in game without freezing (I’ve left it on and connected via HDMI to another monitor to see how long it will last) only to crash at some point when I exited the game and went online. It lately doesn’t even need to be in game to crash, most of the time it’s in browser, while downloading, when starting various applications, etc. I’ve also tried seeing if the event viewer got anything with a red flag in times of crashes, but there aren’t any. There are errors with DCOM when I start it and Kernel Power when I suffocate it by force (obviously). Other than that, there are no errors…

Hi, Kevin. I’m really starting to lose hope about now. I have a new notebook, a month old ASUS K550V and my Windows 10 freezes constantly. There is hardly an option I haven’t tried. It has been to the official service where all the hardware has been tested and is given the green light because everything seems to be working perfectly. I tried reinstalling the windows, I tried getting an update of an evaluation copy for the next version of windows. I tried everything mentioned on your list, but it keeps freezing. After it freezes, some 10 seconds later it will start to sound like the processor fan has gone mad and it could stay like that for days. If rebooted immediately after it freezes, there is a good chance it will freeze very fast. If I leave it to ‘cool off’ it might work longer. The quickest way to get it to freeze is to run any game, but it will freeze one way or the other. All drivers are up to date, nothing boots that doesn’t have to, etc. and I really need help because I don’t know what to do any more…
Thank you in advance…

thank you for the suggestion, it will definitely help others.

Since it is a 2 years old notebook, i beleive this issue could be due to over heating of GPU or CPU. I would suggest getting the notebook cleaned and serviced.

Mine was a Win 7 upgrade and the machine ran fine for months until suddenly the freezes started in Netflix, then the system itself would freeze temporarily, 5-10 seconds, and then resume normally.

I did the Winsock Reset trick and so far it seems to have solved my issues.

If it’s less then 30 days that you upgraded, then try this: How to: Downgrade Windows 10 after the 30-Day Rollback Period else try clean boot, How to: Clean Boot Windows 8/8.1/10

I have exacly the same problem. I have a Alienware also used the inigrated Dell hardware diagnostic tool. It didn’t find problems

Cyberpower sadly

Any recommended hardware diagnostics tools?

My computer stopped having this random freezes after I disable hybrid boot (fast start-up), I have an EVGA 790i sli ultra motherboard, and I had the same problems with 3 video cards. gtx 460x2 and a gtx 970, the random freezes occurred only after a shutdown, on a fresh install the computer was running find for 24+ hours but a shutdown bang sometimes I couldn’t start chrome to browse the internet. ( when you want to install the latest video card drivers, use DDU before installing the drivers)

One of the most complete guides I have seen so far, to be quite honest. I tried out the Power Settings but in a different manner from what you have suggested, your way will hopefully do the trick! I’m tired of having to deal with Windows 10’s freezes and not being able to run my work smoothly. I always thought it was a virus problem and ran a bunch of tests, used third party instant restore software, reinstalled windows, all to no avail.

are the drivers up to date?

check event viewer (win + x) key to see which event crashes or what the windows event viewer reports?

I have a gtx 970

what is the graphic card model? have you checked the minimum system requirements for the game you’re playing?

None of these worked for my computer. My computer only freezes when I play games and I have tried all of the steps above. I’ve even reinstalled windows 10 twice and still didn’t work.